Monday, July 29, 2013

Grandpa Jack





3 generations of big-eared and big-hearted men! And I look up to all three of them.

 I love this picture. We just got back from Utah where we celebrated with the Yeoman family for Dallan and Kelsey's wedding. This picture was taken at their reception.

Grandpa Jack has been struggling more and more with his health. It has been difficult each time with visit to see more of his mind lost and confused. But something I think that has been absolutely incredible to observe is, although Grandpa is often confused and unsure of what is occurring around him, it is still VERY apparent to know what kind of man Grandpa was and still is. Often times he is trying to work at the temple, or go home teaching, or complete church assignments, write letters, check in on families, all while sitting comfortably on the couch in the living room. You enter the room and he tries his best to muster any strength he can to get his weight over his weak legs and unsteady feet and pull himself up with the help of his walker, arms stretched out for a handshake or embrace.

I remember years ago, my dad was recently called into a position in our church that was quite a new and different responsibility for him. Grandma and grandpa Albertsflew down for the occasion. The Bishop in our ward eagerly approached my Grandpa, arms stretch out and exclaimed, "I must meet the man who raised such an incredible son." Those words still echo in my mind. I very much admire and look up to my father. I think he is an incredible man that I aspire to be like. But that experience opened my eyes to the example that his father had set for him. I truly began to understand and appreciate what an extraordinary man my grandpa Jack Alberts is. My nephew now carries his name, what a legacy to follow!


1 comment: